Tax Working Group
Taxation and tax administration issues are key areas requiring legal certainty for both businesses operating token-based business models and their customers.
Blockchain Australia’s Tax Working Group is engaged with key regulators including the ATO and Treasury to achieve the following goals:
- identify and prioritise areas of business uncertainty in the application and understanding of tax law as it applies to the digital asset sector and work to provide clarity;
- identify and prioritise any policy gaps, conflicts and opportunities that either hinder or will support the mainstream adoption of digital assets in the wider economy;
- assist in the education of digital currency exchanges and proponents of token offerings regarding their legal reporting and other taxation obligations;
- co-design efficient and effective business processes to support government administration and regulation requirements while keeping the business impact on digital asset businesses to the necessary minimum; and,
- support initiatives to educate consumers on their digital asset taxation obligations.
The members of the Blockchain Australia Tax Working Group are:
Sarah Hickey (Chair)
Hall & Wilcox
Chief Financial Officer
Director – Tax
Chief Executive Officer
Head of Policy